Re: [Groff] table column widths

From: Brian McGurk
Subject: Re: [Groff] table column widths
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:33:22 +0000

>You need either \n[xx] as Larry suggests, or \n(xx, where "xx" is
>the register name.

Using the right syntax on the correct register improved things quite a
lot, but ...

>  lw(\n[.l]/3u) lw(2*\n[.l]/3u)
>
>then I think you will find that it works.

I tried that but it doesn't seem to work. The second column ends up
with an unrestricted width, but the first column is sized correctly.

I tried removing the width spec. for the first column:
    l lw(\n[.l]/3)
and that did what I expected, but when I tried:
    l lw(2*\n[.l]/3)
the second column doesn't seem to get any width spec. at all.

It seems that the width specifier doesn't like getting numerical
expressions. If I calculate and store the values in registers:
   .nr y0 (\n[.l]u-\n[.i]u-4n/4)
   .nr y1 (\nx)
   .nr y2 (\nx*3)
   .TS