Re: [Groff] afmtodit problems - man page not updated

From: Michail Vidiassov
Subject: Re: [Groff] afmtodit problems - man page not updated
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:08:46 +0300 (MSK)

Dear Werner,

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > while now afmtodit (CVS) assigns glyph names (from textmap, AGL,
> > generic) regardless of a PS character being in the encoding or not.
>
> Aah, a misunderstanding.  What about this text:
>
>   If a PostScript character is in the encoding vector to be used for
>   the font (as given in `enc_file') but is not mentioned in
>   `map_file', or if a generic groff glyph name can't be deduced using
>   the Adobe Glyph List (built into afmtodit) then afmtodit will put it
>   in the groff font file as an unnamed character,

NO! We try assign groff glyph name to any character.
We try:
1)map file
2)AGL
3)generic name (uni...)

PS encoding affects the numeric code of the character, that can be used in
\N escape. It does not affect its groff glyph name.

Thus I suggest
If a PostScript character is not named according to uni???? convention,
  is  not  mentioned  in  map_file, and if a generic groff glyph name
can't be deduced using the Adobe Glyph List (built into afmtodit)  then
afmtodit  will  put  it in the groff font file as an unnamed character,
which can be accessed by the \N escape sequence in troff.  If option -e
is  not  specified, the encoding defined in the AFM file (i.e., entries
with non-negative character codes) is used to assign codes.

> BTW, your former patch handles glyph names of the form `uniXXXX'.  Do
> you time to implement full support of the AGL?  For example, glyph
> names like `uXXXX', `uniXXXXYYYYZZZZ....', `uXXXXXX', `uXXXX_uYYYY',
Do you have a live example of an AFM file where such names are used?
May be some afm made form a unicode true type font?

               Sincerely, Michail