Re: [Groff] License information in source files

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] License information in source files
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:36:32 +0100 (CET)

> Dealing with license stuff, is quite boring.  But once it is done
> for one file it can just be copied to similar files.  The approach
> of this email is to provide a license information to all files.

I would be glad if you can manage this.

> 1) I propose to add the following section to the documentation files
> that exist in the source, but are not installed, such as README* and
> TODO.  It should go to the end of the file in order to not disturb
> the information.
>

> ########## start of non-installed file
>
> ### License
>
> This is the ... file for `groff...'.
> File position: <groff-source>/...
> Last update: 15 dec 2003
>
> Copyright (C) 2001,2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> Written by ....
>
> This file is part of the free software project `groff'.  It is
> licensed under the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL).  For a copy
> of the license text and license related information, see the files
> COPYING and LICENSE at the top directory of the groff source package.
>
> ########## end of non-installed file

This looks good.

> 2) In source files that are not installed such as Makefile* or C/C++
> code, the same could be added with the suitable comment signs.  But
> the license section should go at the beginning of the file.

What's the problem with the current text?  This is the standard text
used e.g. in Emacs source files.

> 4) The ChangeLog file has a lot of trouble when adding license
> information.  So I propose to add the license section as the oldest
> ChangeLog entry.  This is put at the end of the file.

OK.

> To avoid the need to fill in the year of each ChangeLog entry to the
> Copyright section, I added a paragraph that should do this
> automatically.  Unfortunately, this is in mathematical style.  I
> would be glad if it would be possible to rewrite this in a nobler
> way.

I fear that US copyright needs all year numbers written out.

>       This file is part of the free software project `groff'.  It is
>       licensed under the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL).  For
>       details on the GPL version and other license related
>       information, see the files LICENSE and COPYING at the top
>       directory of the groff source package.

Hmm, the Emacs ChangeLog files have a much weaker copyright:

    Copyright (C) 2001, 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
  Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification,
  are permitted provided the copyright notice and this notice are
  preserved.

I think if this is sufficient for Emacs, it will be sufficient for
groff also.