Re: [Groff] groff's license file COPYING

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff's license file COPYING
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 19:47:02 -0500

I apologize for my pedantry, but babelization is the downfall of
civilization, and I've had close encounters of the fourth kind[1]
with US lawyers... See below.

On Thursday, December 04, 2003 5:41 AM [GMT-5],
Bernd Warken <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:54:45PM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>>
>> A nice idea.  Another thing is that I don't want to modify
`COPYING'
>> at all to make it identical to the `COPYING' files in all other
GNU
>> packages.  Bernd, can you prepare such a `LICENSE' file?
>>
> The following is a proposal for such a LICENSE file.
>
> ### start of LICENSE
> LICENSE
>
> The groff program is a free software project.  All files of the
groff
> source package are licensed under the GNU Public General License
> (GPL), the major GNU copyleft license.

> The file COPYING in the top directory of the groff source package
> contains a copy of the GPL that was downloaded from the GNU web
site
> http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.txt at 1 dec 2003.
>
> All files of the groff source package are licensed under this
version
> of the GPL.  According to the GPL, you are also free to choose any
> later version of the GPL.
>
> The GPL names an address where you can get the actual version by
> normal post.  Further information is found in the internet at
> http://www.gnu.org/copyleft.
> ### end of LICENSE

>From reading the GPL, the text in the LICENSE file should be...:

"""
    groff - The classic UNIX text processing package.
    Copyright (C) 1997-2004 Free Software Foundation (FSF).

    This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify
    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
published by
    the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License,
or
    (at your option) any later version.

    You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
License
    Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA
02111-1307  USA

<and here a short note>
You will find a copy of the GPL in the file COPYING at the top of
the unpacked source code distribution.
<and here a short note />
""""

If I recall correctly, James Clark donated groff to the FSF in 1997,
but please do correct me if I am wrong.

[1] That is, wining and dining... :-)