Re: [Groff] Re: MSVC Port--Issue with groff Hanging

From: MARSHALL Keith
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: MSVC Port--Issue with groff Hanging
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 11:53:37 +0000

Jeff Conrad wrote:
>Keith Marshall wrote:
>> simply results in pre-grohtml crashing with a SIGPIPE, and no generated

>> output at all.
>
>How do you get a SIGPIPE in Win32? Was this definition added as part
>of MinGW?

Ok, it isn't a true SIGPIPE, in the UNIX sense.  I don't know if it's
a feature of the MinGW runtime extensions, or the underlying msvcrt.dll
implementation, but when pre-grohtml tries to write to its output pipe
after the reader (troff) has terminated, it does trap an output error,
diagnosed by sys_fatal, with the message text "output error; Broken pipe".

This is the message I see, when I run the groff -Thtml -o<anything> ...
test; since "Broken pipe" is the message UNIX displays when a process
receives an unhandled SIGPIPE, I described the Win32 behaviour as a
SIGPIPE condition, even though Win32 does not handle it.  (Perhaps
"pseudo-SIGPIPE" would be a more accurate description; if it were a
properly handled SIGPIPE, then pre-grohtml would have terminated
*before* sys_fatal was called, to display the diagnostic message).

BTW, in the pic.ms case I cited yesterday, I also get normal completion
if I include a page number greater than the document length in the output
page range list;  I simply wasn't using a big enough number (>36) when I
was experimenting with it.

Regards,
Keith.