Re: [Groff] Ragged Bottoms

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Ragged Bottoms
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 00:13:47 +0100 (CET)

> I've been trying to write some two-pass macros that measure the
> difference between the bottom line and the desired bottom on the
> first pass and applies the adjustments to the flexible spaces in the
> document on the second.  It really seems like thi should be easy,
> but I haven't been having much luck.  Has anyone else tried to
> automate ragged bottom elimination in this or any other way?  If you
> have, I'd love to hear about your results.

It really depends how you get to a new page.  If you have normal text
flow which springs a trap, the \n[.h] register might help.  If you
have .ne requests, the \n[.trunc] and \n[.ne] registers (to be used
within a trap macro) can be useful.  Finally, a .bp call can be
checked with the \n[.pe] register (also within a trap macro).

Note that handling of \n[.trunc] was buggy before version 1.19 of
groff.