Re: [Groff] groff under MacOS X

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff under MacOS X
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:19:44 -0500

with the last Mac OS upgrade groff 1.18.1 was installed as part of the distribution. this binary does not work properly: ...

the PROBLEMS file contains a remark to use "configure CXX=g++2 " to remove some unspecified problems under MacOS X. this indeed generates a binary for ( a source download of) 1.19 with does work ok (without this flag behaviour ist the same as for 1.18.1).

The problems you saw are the ones that the workaround fixes. I'm rather disappointed that Apple didn't fix their compiler; that kind of thing simply shouldn't happen.

I've built a .pkg that replaces the dodgy binary with working 1.19 binaries. It works on Jaguar (OSX 10.2); I haven't tried it on Panther (10.3) yet because I haven't upgraded. The package is somewhat large (4MB) so it's not easy to email, and I'm not sure what kind of bandwith quotas I have on my personal website. But if someone with bandwidth would like to host it, contact me off-list & we can arrange an upload.
--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"