Re: [Groff] MSVC port still maintained?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] MSVC port still maintained?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:38:22 +0100 (CET)

> Searching for Win32 on the list archive turns up a lot of discussion
> on a MSVC port back in 2000 before the 1.16 release, but it appears
> that 1.18 and the new 1.19 do not contain it anymore.  What is the
> status of the MSVC port?

Blake McBride provided patches for a native build on Win32 (with
MSVC); meanwhile they have become extremely out of date so I had to
remove them.  Jeff Conrad worked on a port to the UWin system --
AFAIK, this is a Unix compilation environment using MSVC.
I've contacted both of them, without a response for quite a long
time. :-(

Most (if not all) of the necessary fixes have been applied to the
groff source files, including the conversion of source files from
`.cc' to `.cpp', proper support of object files named `*.obj', etc.,
etc.  Recently, grohtml has been updated also so that it should work
with MSVC also.

I would be happy if people could try MSVC again; you will need GNU
make and customized versions of Makefile, doc/Makefile, and
src/include/config.h (made from Makefile.in, doc/Makefile.in, and
config.hin, respectively).  Ideally, they should be put into arch/msvc
or something similar, or a script in arch/msvc produces the necessary
files.