Re: [Groff] MSVC port still maintained?

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] MSVC port still maintained?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 06:42:16 -0500

On Wednesday, November 19, 2003 5:35 AM [GMT-5],
MARSHALL Keith <address@hidden> wrote:

Keith,

> I have recently provided patches to support MinGW;  I use the
latest
> version of MinGW and MSYS from mingw.org, not the MinGW component
of
> Cygwin, (although I understand that the two should be essentially
> equivalent).

Tes, they are equivalent. You need to do some hackery playing with
directory paths, so that both the Windows and the POSIX paths match
each other, but it is rather trivial.

> I did notice that a couple of minor bugs have crept into the
recent
> CVS snapshots of pipeline.c, causing the make error reported by
> Alejandro; (Werner, I will discuss patches for these with you
> separately).  However, the current snapshot is very close to an
OOTB
> build with MinGW, (and, remember that we are talking about a
> development snapshot here, so we should not expect it to be bug
free).

Good to know I wasn't dreaming this... :-)

> I myself, did experiment with the GnuWin32 implementation of
> groff-1.18.1, but found that it did not fulfil my requirements;

Yes, it had some weird problems. I downloaded the newer version last
night but I haven't tried it yet. It is based on a CVS snapshot of
about October 23 (released on October 25), so it might be very
similar to the OOTB compile Robert mentions in another message. Yet,
I know for sure it doesn't have HTML output support (there is no
netpbm binary distro in the site...).

Greetings,

Alejo

PS. IRT the pdfmark thread last weekend, the gnuwin32 groff binary
distro comes with a set of pdfmark macros that seem pretty good,
haven't used them myself though.