Re: [Groff] Re: grohtml utility programs in DESC?

From: MARSHALL Keith
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: grohtml utility programs in DESC?
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:06:55 +0000

Hi Werner, Gaius,

I can't comment on the OS2 implementation, since I have absolutely no
experience of that environment.

In the case of Win32, the binary which grohtml requires is gswin32c.exe;
(gswin32.exe is a Win32 GUI
front end for the gs engine, and is not intended for command line use).

When gs is installed on a Win32 platform, (either the GNU or the AFPL
version), all the components are
installed into a GhostScript directory, with registry entries to locate
them.  There is no guarantee that
gswin32c.exe will be installed in a path where grohtml would know to look
for it -- it would be necessary
for the end user to add the GhostScript binary directory to his regular
PATH definition.  The alternative,
which I suggest in README.MinGW, is to simply copy the required
gswin32c.exe to a directory which is
already in the PATH, (e.g. /usr/local/bin under MSYS); in this case, it
will work equally well if the copy
of gswin32c.exe is renamed as gs.exe, or if grohtml is configured to
search for gswin32c.exe on the
Win32 platform -- I have no strong preference for either choice.

Best regards,
Keith.

Gaius Mulley <address@hidden>
Sent by: address@hidden