Re: [Groff] Escaping punctuation marks in troff

From: Robert Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Escaping punctuation marks in troff
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:54:50 -0500

On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 01:06 PM, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

See section 7.3 in CSTR #54 for a precise explanation.

    http://troff.org/papers.html

The quotes need `doubleling'.  Taking your example text:

    $ cat 158.2.octet-stream
    abc
    .ip simple
    def
    .ip " she said " Hello world !" to me "
    ghi
    .ip " she said "" Hello world !"" to me "
    xyz
    $ nroff -me 158.2.octet-stream | grep .
    abc
    simple
         def
     she said
         ghi
     she said " Hello world !" to me
         xyz

Though if you want the output to look *nice*, you should use proper typographical quotes; either

.ip " she said \[lq]Hello World!\[rq] to me"

or, as a close  approximation,

.ip " she said ``Hello World!'' to me"

where the closing double quotes after the exclamation mark are a pair of single apostrophes (').

Robert.