Re: [Groff] Escaping punctuation marks in troff

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Escaping punctuation marks in troff
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:06:28 +0000

Hi Divya,

> Thanks a lot for your response.

No problem, please keep mailing the groff list rather than me directly
though.  Just because I can offer advice on asking the question doesn't
mean I can answer it.  :-)

> 1. Test file: 'tblex2' is the tesfile.  attached is the example file
> that I am using:
>
> 2. The command used
>
> nroff -me tblex2 | more
>
> 3. the output :
>
> she said
>
> 4. Note:
>
> marks are causing problem only with the 'paragraph' headings.  If I
> remove the  .ip  in the above example then it works perfectly fine.

See section 7.3 in CSTR #54 for a precise explanation.

    http://troff.org/papers.html

The quotes need `doubleling'.  Taking your example text:

    $ cat 158.2.octet-stream
    abc
    .ip simple
    def
    .ip " she said " Hello world !" to me "
    ghi
    .ip " she said "" Hello world !"" to me "
    xyz
    $ nroff -me 158.2.octet-stream | grep .
    abc
    simple