[Groff] Re: .ce behavior question

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: .ce behavior question
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:34:40 +0100 (CET)

Sorry for the late reply.

> at the bottom of this message is a groff doc that illustrates a
  difference in behavior between .ce and .ad c that surprises me.
  When run w/ letter sized output, using the version with .ad c the
  doc fits exactly on the page, with no second page.  When .ce is
  used, a second entirely blank page results.  Is this intentional
  behavior?  I have observed this w/ 1.17 and 1.18.

It's not intentional, but it doesn't really harm, so please consider
it as a feature caused by implementation differences.  Note that the
behaviour of `.ad c' is special, not that of `.ce': The vertical
position after the last line is equal to the page length, thus a page
break should happen.

The standard solution to avoid trailing blank pages is to move down
vertical traps by 1u so that the vertical position never becomes equal
to the page length.