Re: [Groff] Re: paper size of PS output

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: paper size of PS output
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 19:42:18 -0500

Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Daniele F writes:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 11:11:58AM -0400, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
>>
>>> I have run groff on the simple 2-line file indicated, and verified
>>> that the output in "gv" selects A4. However, I can't see anything
>>> in the PS file that looks like page size selection.
>>
>> Look at line with %%DocumentMedia, page size is in points.
>
> There is no such line output.  Indeed, it is on the TODO list
> (src/devices/grops/TODO) of groff 1.18.1:
>
> Generate %%DocumentMedia comment.

That's already in 1.19, which is not included in any Linux distro I be aware
of (and we are quite far into the 1.19.1 CVS HEAD already, ;-). Update to
the 1.19 release or to the latest snapshot from ftp.ffii.org.

Notice that the 1.18.1 and 1.19 release tarballs are not in the official GNU
servers nor mirrors, because they were deleted after a full system
compromise in the main FSF ftp server some months back. Time for a PGP
release signing key?

>>> Can anyone straighten us out? Is there a bug in groff, in our
>>> configuration, or is it in our understanding of groff?

I'd think the problem with US letter/A4 size is rather a misconfiguration
and/or bug in gv (check you have the latest gv, I sem to remember that one
or two versions back it was a dud and perhaps i got included in one or two
Linux distros nonetheless). But you can always try passing -b to grops and
see what happens.