Re: [Groff] Something about mom & questions

From: Daniele F.
Subject: Re: [Groff] Something about mom & questions
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:58:47 +0200

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 03:05:22AM -0400, Peter Schaffter wrote:

> Youch! :)  And he wants 'em simple, too. :) :)

Oh yes, simple: my mind is a non expanded one... :-)

> Lists have been on the TODO list for quite a while.  I've been
> avoiding them because they're a headache, typographically.  They
> look best with the list enumerator hung, which isn't so hard to set
> up for single column text, but gets tricky with multiple columns.
> Then there's what to do about nested lists.  Oh, boy.

I know, my requests are hard ones but you wrote a 300 Kb macro package
using groff so you are a good tough boy, enough to implement new
listing macros... :-)

Seriously: I think "mom" is a great piece of work (personally I'd never
had the tenacy for something similar---especially for documentation,
that is something of essential for such works) and macros for lists will
give it completeness.

> However, since you demand it (I like that), I'll start working on
> it stat.  Can't promise immediate results; I'm working to deadlines
> on other things.

Oh, I'm patient so I'll wait for it until you wants... :-)

> All caps can't be helped.  It's the safest way of avoiding
> conflicts with groff primitives.

Ok, that's not a real problem, only a my idiosyncrasy.

> >     $Revision: 1.12 $ 1 / 7
> >                       ^
> >                       I don't want it! :-)
>
> It never occured to me that someone might want to roll their own
> drafts the way you described.  Now that I know, it's any easy fix.

RCS is an excellent tool also for every kind of texts, not only for
code: when one likes he can read all past versions of his work and look
at changes he made "automatically" and all that without wasting space
conserving multiple files. I like (and often need) to have those RCS
tags exposed on printed draft copies.

> Give me a day or two to test out my changes, then I'll post a
> patch.

Ok, thanks a lot.

--
    Bye, DF.   <jbuss at Kaosmic Net>   *** FreeBSD & Red addict ***

"Quale realta` puo` figurare la combinazione magica ideale?"
 (Marlene Kuntz)