Re: [Groff] Something about mom & questions

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Something about mom & questions
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:05:22 -0400

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003, Daniele F. wrote:
> So I demand the author of mom to implement some (simple) system for
> lists to complete the package. Sic! :-)

Youch! :)  And he wants 'em simple, too. :) :)

Lists have been on the TODO list for quite a while.  I've been
avoiding them because they're a headache, typographically.  They
look best with the list enumerator hung, which isn't so hard to set
up for single column text, but gets tricky with multiple columns.
Then there's what to do about nested lists.  Oh, boy.

However, since you demand it (I like that), I'll start working on
it stat.  Can't promise immediate results; I'm working to deadlines
on other things.

> I don't like very much the ALL CAPS names of macros but they can be
> aliased or I can write them normally and then modifying them
> with a line of sed or similar.

All caps can't be helped.  It's the safest way of avoiding
conflicts with groff primitives.

> I like to have a footer with page number and revision indicator like
> this:
>
>     $Revision: 1.12 $   / 7
>
> and not like this one
>
>     $Revision: 1.12 $ 1 / 7
>                       ^
>                       I don't want it! :-)

Currently, mom expects a draft number if COPYSTYLE is DRAFT.  If
none is given, it defaults to "1", which is where the unwanted "1"
(above) comes from.  There's no way to get rid of it, at least not
with the scheme you're using.

It never occured to me that someone might want to roll their own
drafts the way you described.  Now that I know, it's any easy fix.
Give me a day or two to test out my changes, then I'll post a
patch.

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of _The Schumann Proof_, appearing fall, 2004
(pub. RendezVous Press, Canada)