Re: [Groff] Pic: problem with "shaded"

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Pic: problem with "shaded"
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2003 19:12:25 +0100 (BST)

On 05-Oct-03 Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> It seems clear that the `.sp -1' that interleave pic's output is having
> an affect.  But I guess you know that.  The '\M[green]' on a line by
> itself doesn't seem to be moving down a line so the following `.sp -1'
> moves up when there's no need to.  That there are no blank lines in
> pic's output suggests a strange interaction with .blm.

Hi Ralph,

Thanks! That (in similar terms) was my inference too, though I don't
understand it. "A strange interaction with .blm" indeed.

I note from recent documentation (man roff) that using blank lines is
discouraged (though not explicitly deprecated):

  ยท Never include empty or blank lines in a roff document.  Instead,
    use the empty request (a line consisting of a dot only) or a
    line comment .\" if a structuring element is needed.

Nevertheless, the .blm request serves precisely the purpose of allowing
a blank line to perform a user-defined function, and I've been defining
.blm to have a null effect for some years now, quite happily.

I hope there has not been a subtle change in how .blm operates. However,
it's impossible to tell experimentally because the \M escape is also new.

Cheers,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972