Re: [Groff] ds in tmac

From: Robert Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] ds in tmac
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:43:12 -0500

On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 02:56 PM, (Ted Harding) wrote:

Hi Erich!

On 05-Sep-03 Erich Hoffmann wrote:
I'm using groff now some time for most of my writing projects and
with the normal use of it I'm quite at ease.  But I'm a full blown
newbie to groff hacking, to be honest to any programming at all.

   To gather some experience I got the idea of a sort of typesetting
chess diagrams with groff.  I want to use it.  Especially I want to
typeset fairy chess diagrams, retro games &c.  Googeling said that
there is no such thing by now.

I'm not sure of all your motives with this exercise! If you simply want
to produce an end-product which consists of [fairy]chess diagrams, then
I'd suggest you try a different way.

There is a chess preprocessor for troff called notation. Google found it at:

http://www.landfield.com/software/comp.sources.misc/packages/notation

I have no idea whether it compiles easily or what sort of output it provides, but it may be worth looking at for ideas.

Robert.