Re: [Groff] converting .rtf to groff

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] converting .rtf to groff
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:08:39 -0400

Duncan Agnew wrote:

I am interested in converting .RTF files to groff (-ms, preferably). This is an occasional thing, and I'd settle for something (a sed script?) that
does 90% of the work, leaving the rest to be done by hand.

There are scripts and programs out on the net to convert RTF to other
formats (HTML, XML, TeX, etc). You might be able to use one of them,
then convert the output to -ms.

On a slightly related topic, I've been experimenting with GhostScript's
ps2ascii filter -- it has a lower-level mode that outputs something akin
to groff's intermediate format. I've already managed to get text output
that's more useful than the normal ps2ascii output; the next step is to
add groff markup.

In general, when converting an output format like RTF or PostScript
to markup, having it do 90% of the work is reasonably easy. The law
of diminishing returns kicks in very quickly after that point. :-)

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"