Re: [Groff] converting .rtf to groff

From: Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] converting .rtf to groff
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:41:49 -0500

At 02:00 p.m. 29/08/2003, Duncan Agnew wrote:
I am interested in converting .RTF files to groff (-ms, preferably). This
is an occasional thing, and I'd settle for something (a sed script?) that
does 90% of the work, leaving the rest to be done by hand. Does anyone know
of such a thing? A (modest) search of the Web resources at troff.org,
and of the last couple of years of the groff mail archive, didn't seem
to show anything.

That's a tall order. I remember there was a set of translators at primate.wisc.edu ten years ago, including a proof-of-concept rtf to troff converter; as far as I know it was written for MacOS 7 and never updated for an RTF specification more recent than Mac Word 5.1 a.k.a SweetJam nor written for something different to MPW :-). The work done there, eventually became the product sold by http://www.logictran.com/ and also served as the basis for the open source rtf2latex, available at your neiborhood's CTAN.

Cheerio

PS. The thing is out there, somewhere. Probably in info-mac or at the shrine to the ashes of the already dead (and reeking!) umich mac files archive (http://www.umich.edu/archive/mac/) if the powers-that-be haven't pulled the plug yet. *And* probably packed with Compact Pro, a dead MacClassic archiver (specs were never published, sad thing -- http://www.cyclos.com/compactpro.htm).