Re: [Groff] what is `.if v' for?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] what is `.if v' for?
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:16:09 +0100

Hi Dorai,

> I ask because it seems like a fairly robust way to introduce a
> conditional into a program other than groff that parses groff text
> (i.e., the text can distinguish whether it is being processed by groff
> or the converter.)

As I see it, the problem with another program using, e.g. `.if q'
without groff knowing about this usage is that groff may one day use
`.if q' for its own, separate, needs.  This is probably the reason why
`.if v' is explicitly coded for despite any current unknown letter
already being false;  groff knows that something out there thinks `.if
v' is true and people have used it.

BTW, Werner says `.if v' is for vroff, for Versatec printers.  Google
also turns up another vroff which is an X windows previewer.

    http://www.ffii.org/archive/mails/groff/2001/May/0071.html
    http://www.emba.uvm.edu/CF/adv.php#Vroff

Cheers,

Ralph.