[Groff] Re: 'man groff' reports end of file while defining macro `TP'

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: 'man groff' reports end of file while defining macro `TP'
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:53:41 +0200 (CEST)

> > Today, it probably makes more sense to install with
> >
> >   make install tmac_wrap=""
> >
> > so that no wrapper scripts for the Solaris troff macro packages
> > are installed.  What do you think of making this the default?
>
> Sorry, I've forgotten exactly what this means.
>
> Does it mean that we assume that the system-defined troff macro
> definitions work even when groff is not running in compatibility
> mode?

No.  The above installation instruction means that the Solaris macros
are completely ignored and not available by default.  With other
words, using e.g. -ms selects the groff version of ms, not the Solaris
version.  Without `tmac_wrap=""', -ms selects the Solaris version, and
-mgs has to be used to call the groff version.

> But fixmacros.sed finds many problems in the Sun macro libraries.
> Most of these problems are in /usr/lib/tmac/mmn and /usr/lib/tmac/mmt
> -- which I assume we don't care about, since groff comes with its own
> implementation of -mm

The same here: Without `tmac_wrap=""', -mm selects the Solaris
version, and -mgm is necessary to call the groff version.