[Groff] Nesting Tables using standard tbl, nroff, and col commands

From: Trey Morris
Subject: [Groff] Nesting Tables using standard tbl, nroff, and col commands
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:52:09 -0500

Hello Everyone,

    I have across a formatting issue I need to have resolved. I am
trying to make a table that can contain a table in one of its cells. I
tried just putting the code for another table in the T{T} field of the
cell I want the other table in and that does not work. Indeed I have
tried several other sneaky ways of getting it to work such as writing
the nested table source to another file and then inside the main tables
T{T} block using .sy and .so commands to preprocess the other file with
tbl and then put tbl's output into the textblock. This seemed like a
horrible solution but I figured I would try it anyhow. It gave me a
memory error which I can only imagine was running out of number
registers since it seems tbl uses tons of them for even simple small
tables. I tried various different ordering of the .sy and .so files and
came up with some weird output. If I put the .sy and .so comands outside
of the main table they work fine the table processes fine and everything
works great, if I put them inside a text block in the main table I get
the memory error.

I am hoping you guys could give a direct solution to this: a way to nest
the tables.
But I am willing to use a work around such as the one I attempted.

Anything helps.

Thanks,
Trey