[Groff] Fw: pic page scale?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Fw: pic page scale?
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:34:53 +0200 (CEST)

I'm forwarding this very interesting email since the answer (in
another email) to the problem is non-trivial.

    Werner
--- Begin Message --- Subject: pic page scale? Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:48:43 -0700 User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; FreeBSD i386; en-US; rv:1.3b) Gecko/20030402
Hi,

Sorry to bother you. I've been struggling with page
scale/size problems using pic.

I couldn't google and pic newsgroups so if you could
either point me at some, or even just tell me what
I'm doing wrong, that be much appreciated.

My App:
=======
I'm using pic to design layout for some "control slug"
documents that have MICR and barcode on them. They'll
pass through an image scanner, blah, blah.

I'd like to be able to accurately put things at absolute
locations, and also as close to the 8.5x11" paper edges
as the printer will allow.

The problem:
============
It seems that placing objects at absolute locations on
the page changes the relative size of the page. This
happens with pic objects as well as, say different
sized fonts.

I'm attaching a sample pic file, circles.pic that I process via:

        % groff -p circles.pic > circles.ps ; gs circles.ps

Oddly, the first circle *always* shows up in the lower left
corner, regardless of the (x,y) coords I give it. And the
circles appear to be differently sized depending on how
many are rendered.

I'm also attaching two image files. Circles1.png circles.pic,
the second (circles2.png) is the same, but I deleted the
   "violetred" "1" 1 1

line in the pic file.

Note how circle "1" is in the lower left in circle1.png,
but circle "2" is in circle2.png. Shouldn't circle "2" always
be at x=2, y=2?

In general the whole scale of the circles seems to have nothing
to do with a fixed 8.5x11" layout.

Can you give me a clue what I'm missing here?

Thanks *very* much for your time and trouble.

Ken Marx, address@hidden
We are going to be selling flowers on the street if we do not run it up the flagpole and step upto the plate on the market window, etc.
                - http://www.bigshed.com/cgi-bin/speak.cgi
.PS  11.000i 8.500i

.po 0
.nr HM 0

copy thru % circle rad 0.2 outlined $1 $2 at ($3, $4) % until "END"
    "blue" "2" 2 2
    "green" "3" 3 3
    "purple" "4" 4 4
    "orange" "5" 5 5