[Groff] Re: signedness problems

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: signedness problems
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:12:29 +0200 (CEST)

> grotty in 1.19 doesn't compile on platforms where char is by
> default unsigned; the attached patch fixes this.  Please
> commit it to the groff CVS repository.

Thanks for reporting this.

Since `char' is always signed in groff, isn't there another
possibility to fix this?  I've thought of a configure test which sets
the appropriate compiler flag.  autoconf provides the macro
AC_C_CHAR_UNSIGNED, defining __CHAR_UNSIGNED__; would the following do
the right thing in src/include/lib.h (and some other places for code
written in C instead of C++)?

  #ifdef __CHAR_UNSIGNED__
  typedef signed char char
  #endif