Re: [Groff] Monk?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Monk?
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:58:48 +0100

Hi Robert,

> Has anyone ever used the `monk' system?  It came, apparently, with
> Unix V10.  It was a textprocessor which took in LaTeX-like input and
> spat out troff.  Is the source code available anywhere, or, at least,
> a detailed description of the language?

Here's a little background.

    http://ftp.std.com/obi/Standards/sgml/monk

A paper by its authors.

    Murrel, S. L. and Kowalski, T. J., Typing Documents on the UNIX
    System: Using Monk 0.3, BellLaboratories internal memorandum
    (December 10, 1985).

Volume 2 of the 10th Ed. manual has lots of interesting stuff, but only
some has been curated online.  -mpm, Ideal, Dag, Cip, Monk, etc.

    http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/10thEdMan/v2contents.html
    http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/10thEdMan/

I suggest popping over to comp.os.plan9 and asking there if the paper on
monk, and anything else they've easy got to hand, could be added to the
online 10th Ed. manual.  They're a helpful bunch and will probably give
it a try.

Cheers,

Ralph.