[Groff] vertical spacing problems

From: Graydon Saunders
Subject: [Groff] vertical spacing problems
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 20:30:14 -0400

Hello!

I've been beating my head into this for awhile, and I'd like to borrow
someone else's learning experience, if at all possible.

I've got my resume in groff; I have some stolen-from-old-Bell-Labs-docs
macros to do headers, which look like:

.\" top and bottom margin header/footer definitions
.de hd  \"define header
.ie \\n%>1 \{\
'sp 0.8i
.ps 8
.ft R
.vs 10
'tl 'Graydon Saunders''%'
'tl 'address@hidden'''
'tl '<phone number>'''
'sp .25i
.ps
.ft
.vs \}
.el 'sp 1.1i
..
.de fo  \"define footer
'bp
..
.\" set traps for header and footer macro calls
.wh 0 hd
.wh -1i fo

Otherwise the 'page setup' stuff looks like:
.AM     \" turn on new accent macros
.ND     \" print no date
.\".pc  \" no page number
.po 1i  \" set page offset (left margin) to one inch
.ll 6.5i        \" set line length to 6.5 inches
.pl 11i     \" set page lenth to 11 inches
.fam T  \" set the font family to Times
.ps 11  \" set the point size to twelve
.vs 13  \" set the vertical spacing to .ps plus 2
.hy 0   \" don't hyphenate

and I'm processing it with
groff -t -s -p -mmdoc chronological.ms > temp.ps

ghostscript-7.05-32.1, groff-1.18.1-26.1, which are current for Red Hat 9

The problem is that when I look at the output with gv (or kghostview), or
print it (CUPS, ppd, and an HP4100) I get about three eights of an inch of
top margin on the first page; the bottom margin is correspondingly huge,
an inch and three quarters or so.  The second page (which gets the header
just fine) has a three quarter inch top margin.

I'm quite certain this worked the last time I tried it, but that was two
years ago on what I am certain was a different value of groff.  What
stupid thing am I doing or failing to do?

Thanks!

Graydon