Re: [Groff] Bugs in grohtml

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bugs in grohtml
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 00:55:21 +0200 (CEST)

> With no disrespect for texinfo or the hard work of its maintainers,
> and donning my own protective goggles, I would love to see all groff
> documentation written with groff, especially the groff texinfo file.

texinfo supports more output formats.

> Using a TeX-based documentation format makes it seem that we don't
> have confidence in groff.

Like it or not, texinfo is the preferred documentation format for GNU.
Note that I only want to use texinfo for the reference, not for a
tutorial -- the latter is badly needed, and I invite you all to
provide something into this direction.  IMHO the most promising
project is UTP which should be eventually extended to cover the new
features of groff.

> It would be a big job, first to come up with a set of macros and
> scripts to approach the functionality of texinfo; and then to
> convert a portion, at least, of the groff.texinfo file to
> groff.groffinfo to gauge how people here like it.  Does this idea
> grab anyone else?  I'd be happy to have a go at it, if one or two
> others would like to join in to make up my (many) deficiencies!

Currently, this is a waste of time IMHO.  In case that you have time
to work on documentation please contribute to the UTP project.