Re: [Groff] Bugs in grohtml

From: James J. Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bugs in grohtml
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 19:26:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2003, James J. Ramsey wrote:
> > Trying to get HTML output from -mom formatted
> > documents smoked out another bug in grohtml.
>
> Omigod.  You actually tried to get html output from
> mom?  Some
> folks are suckers for punishment. :)
>
> Seriously, there's a reason why the man page for
> groff_mom reads:
>
>     "...designed primarily to format documents for
> PostScript output."
>
> While it's somewhat contrary to the general
> direction of groff, I
> designed mom specifically for typesetting and
> document processing
> to the printed page.  I'm sure some people would
> love that
> great output could be had with "groff -mom -Tdvi" or
> "groff -mom
> -Thtml", but it just ain't so.  Mom's for -Tps.

-mom may be designed for -Tps, not -Thtml, but all
that should mean for grohtml is that it puts out very
presentational, non-structured HTML, without things
like anchors and links and heading tags like <H1>.
-mom with -Thtml could be expected to be awful for
general web page design, but not so bad for putting a
novel online. That's presuming no bugs in grohtml, of
course, which is rather silly, since it's alpha code.
Still, nothing wrong with trying.