Re: [Groff] mom problems

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] mom problems
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:17:10 -0400

On Wed, May 21, 2003, Robert D. Goulding wrote:
> The mom typewrite document compiles fine under 1.19, but not the latest
> 1.19.1.  The only change in troff since then has been in the behaviour of
> the .return request -- which is used frequently in mom in the
> family-changing macros.  It's way beyond me to see what the problem is
> *exactly*, but the new implementation of .return would seem the place to
> look....

Yeah.  As I was hunting through mom, looking for reasons to explain
the 1.91.1 problem and trying out quick fixes, I began to kinda
smell that .return was the source of the problem.

As with you, it's way beyond me to understand what the problem is.
Werner -- any help?  .return used to simply stop processing and
exit from a macro.  Has that changed?  I hope not.  It sure made
constructs like this easy:

.if \\n[#PRINT_STYLE]=1 \{\   \" i.e. if PRINTSTYLE is TYPEWRITE,
.    nr #IGNORE 1             \" which is set inside the PRINTSTYLE macro
.\}

so that in any macro dealing with family, font, or point size
during document processing, I could simply do

.if \\n[#IGNORE] \{ .return \}

at the top of the macro.

I'd hate for that to have changed, but if it has, I'll have to get
creative in order to accomplish the same thing.

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of _The Schumann Proof_, appearing fall, 2004
(pub. RendezVous Press, Canada)