[Groff] mom macros broken with groff 1.19.1

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: [Groff] mom macros broken with groff 1.19.1
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 03:03:48 -0400

Hi, all.

For reasons I can't track down, some of the mom macros are broken
when used with groff 1.19.1.

I found a few places where I could get them working with 1.19.1 (see
my previous post -- I still don't understand why), but I discovered
some -- most problematically the internal routine to print page
footers (not bottom-of-page numbering, which I got working) -- that
can't be fixed, even by incomprehensible methods.

I thought I was going crazy, but I've checked: mom 1.1.6 works fine
with groff 1.18-3.  I'm absolutely stumped as to why she's broken
when used with 1.19.1.  We're not talking about new stuff here;
these are macros that have been performing without a hitch since
groff 1.17-2.  I hope someone can explain.

Since I can't come up with a quick fix (I've been at it all day),
for the time being, if you want to use or test mom 1.1.16, you'll
have to run her with groff 1.18 until this problem's resolved.
Sorry.

Something else I noticed.  While I was playing around with mom and
1.19.1, I created a few simple test docs that contained none of the
problematic macros.  When I previewed the postscript output with gv,
the top and bottom margins all came out too high.  However,
when I sent the same postscript output to my printer, everything
came out fine.  The gv previewing oddity doesn't happen when I'm
running 1.18.

--
Peter Schaffter

Author of _The Schumann Proof_, appearing fall, 2004
(pub. RendezVous Press, Canada)