Re: [Groff] Newbie to groff question. Image "figure: X.X" generation pro

From: Redman Jack
Subject: Re: [Groff] Newbie to groff question. Image "figure: X.X" generation problems.
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 07:52:08 -0700 (PDT)

--- address@hidden wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I have written a document and formatted it using
> groff and the "ms" macro. Now I want to include
> references to the pictures included to produce a
> table of pictures, and to refer to them through the
> text by their number.
>
> I tried to use .FG to do the work, but it is used
> with the "mm" macros, and my source files doesn't
> compile with "groff -mm ".
>
> Is there any easy way I can use .FG in my source
> files ( maybe with some option in "groff -ms -<??>".
>

> Sorry if the question is too simple for this list,
> help or pointing me to the correct direction will be
> heavily appreciated.

> Some info:
> GNU troff version 1.15 on Debian Potato.
>
> Error when using groff -ms:
>  warning: `FG' not defined
>
> I'm using
> .PS
> copy "/path/to/fig.ps"
> .PE
> to include the figures.

Hi

I would first suggest that you upgrade your Gnu troff.
 1.15 is very old.  The newer groff's are much
improved.  Debian should have newer versions in
packages.  Or you can get the source from

http://www.gnu.org/software/groff/groff.html

For including ps pictures in a document there's the
PSPIC macro.  The basic form is:

.PSPIC /path/to/fig.ps

However there are some switches that can be used.  The
documentation is in the grops man page.

man grops

I don't know if your version has PSPIC or not.

I usually use PSPIC, along with the caption, in a
floating keep which keeps everything together.  You
could also have a refer reference in there as well.

I don't know of any way to use the `FG' macro from the
`mm' macros with the `ms' macros.  Maybe someone else
will have some ideas.

Since you are new to groff I would suggest that you
get "Unix Text Processing."  This book has a lot of
good information about using groff.  You can download
it at:

http://home.alltel.net/kollar/utp/

Also the new versions of groff have a manual in html
format that I find useful.  Another good reason to
upgrade.

I hope that this is helpful to you.

Jack Redman