Re: [Groff] mdoc and punctuation

From: Ruslan Ermilov
Subject: Re: [Groff] mdoc and punctuation
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:33:10 +0300

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 10:14:16PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > I sent a bug report to OpenSSH [1] about the use of ".Ql ?" when the
> > desired output was "'?'" rather than "''?". I got a response back
> > claiming that the output I saw wasn't reproducible under any of the
> > BSDs, and asking whether this was not in fact a bug in groff.
>
> It's not a bug, it's a logical extension.  The old BSD mdoc macros are
> not consequent here for reasons beyond my knowledge: Look at the `z.',
> `z,', ... registers in old BSD's doc-common and you can see that `z!'
> and `z?' are missing, while groff's mdoc has `doc-punct!' and
> `doc-punct?'.
>
> IMHO the OpenSSH team should apply your patch even if not necessary
> for old BSD's mdoc macros.

I still carry a big patch against OpenSSH manpages (haven't
updated it for a long time):

http://people.freebsd.org/~ru/patches/mdoc/crypto_openssh.patch

The problem with OpenSSH (manpages) is that it is developed
mostly under OpenBSD that still uses an old Groff.  The good
news about it is that I've been recently contacted by a Russian
speaking OpenBSD developer who's working on getting the new
Groff distribution into OpenBSD.  Once this is done, I can
easily convience them (him?) to apply this patch (after doing
a clean up of the patch).

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          Sysadmin and DBA,
address@hidden          Sunbay Software AG,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age