Re: [Groff] Re: pic extension

From: Hartmut Henkel
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: pic extension
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:20:32 +0200 (CEST)

Perhaps one should caution the pic user about 2 points with this new
feature:

1. If consequently used, this is VERY expensive in terms of TeX
resources: Every new picture with new figname name occupies a new TeX
box. And there are only < 255 of them. If a user works from a library of
pictures, which he has tagged by default by individual fignames, a
medium-sized book can easily overflow TeX. Once used, the boxes are
gone, if not re-used by a picture with the same box name. Similar \box
assignments on such an easy user basis are IMHO normally not done in
TeX/LaTeX macro packages.

---> Use this feature sparsingly, and only if really needed. Don't tag
any picture by figname from now on.

2. figname = <any existing TeX macro or primitive> produces an error, as
it clashes with the macros by the \csname\endcsname mechanism. E. g.
figname = box gives an error.

---> Avoid any TeX/LaTeX macro name, e. g. make a mix of Large and small
letters and numbers, and you may be set...

And BTW having two or more figures side-by-side is easily possible
without the figname feature. Just write e. g.

\centerline{%
.PS
.PE
\box\graph
.PS
.PE
\box\graph
}

and you got it. Working from this proven standard functionality, one is
still flexible enough to copy the box into another one to keep it for
later use...

I fear that the figname feature might introduce more trouble than it
might be worth, but all this frankly IMHO only.

Greetings Hartmut