Re: [Groff] refer and Dutch names

From: Christian Jensen
Subject: Re: [Groff] refer and Dutch names
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:53:30 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Robert D. Goulding wrote:

> no-discard
> sort Z1A1
       ^^

Hmm, I have discovered an unfortunate side-effect of using the Z field in
the sort option. I use the APA style reference (or label) in the text in
the form of Lastname (year) rather than numbers, but starting the sort
option with anything but 'A' (author) makes refer use the whole author
string '@' instead.

This may not be so bad for the 't Hart reference which becomes (J. 't
Hart 2003) instead of ('t Hart 2003), but it is very unfortunate for one
of my references which becomes (K. E. A. Silverman, M. E. Beckman, M.
Ostendorf,  C.  W. Wightman, P. Price, J. Pierrehumbert, and
J. Hirschberg 1992) instead of (Silverman et al. 1992).

I don't see a way around this, but maybe others do?

> 't Hart appears between Goulding and Iguana, as expected.  BTW, why use \'
> instead of just '?  Is it normal Dutch typography to have an acute accent
> like that?

I don't know much about Dutch names in general, but this one is normally
written with the acute accent.  Btw, what is the difference between ' and
\(cq? I could not find any references to the latter in my documentation
(old troff manual, groff_char.7 etc.).

Christian