Re: [Groff] Re-using PSPIC insertions

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re-using PSPIC insertions
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 09:42:23 +0200 (CEST)

> Encapsulated PostScript items can be included using .PSPIC
> or with the escape sequence \X'ps: include ... '.
>
> Now suppose the included graphic is something that is wanted
> frequently in a document (e.g. in page headers or footers).
> Repeated calls to .PSPIC or \X'ps: include ... ' will result
> in the PS code being embedded every time, and if this is bulky
> then the document file will be huge.
>
> However, if one were creating a document in "raw PostScript"
> it would be possible to define once and for all a PS name
> which would invoke the PS code for the graphic. In this way,
> the code would only need to be embedded once in the document,
> and could be called by name whenever wanted.
>
> Does anyone have a good idea for how to do this in groff?

Does anyone have an idea how this can be coded in PS at all?  I tried
but I always get a limitcheck error even for the smallest EPS files.
What I exactly like to have is this:

  . Load an EPS file into the PS interpreter.

  . Assign the rasterized image to a variable for reuse.

> The only way which occurs to me is to create a PS file in the
> first place which incorprates the code and defines a name for
> it, and then include it once using .PSPIC or \X'ps: include ... ';
> thereafter, it could perhaps be invoked using \X'ps: exec ... '.

Yes, something like that should work.