[Groff] Re: incompatible change in groff 1.18

From: Tom Phelps
Subject: [Groff] Re: incompatible change in groff 1.18
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:56:06 -0800 (PST)

> to support SGR at all) there are several possibilities to make groff
> work as before (and indeed most distributions use one or another
> method for that):
>
>  . Set the environment variable `GROFF_NO_SGR'.
>
>  . Pass option `-c' to grotty.

Thanks for pointing out these parts of the man page to me.
The enviroment variable works fine, but would be awkward for me as
I find it's often sys admins who install TkMan and they'd have
to explain setting this across different shells and login files.

The command line option would be acceptable, but I can't get it to work.
I'm using a just-downloaded copy of groff-1.18.1 and the invocation
    groff -c -te -Tlatin1 -man groff.1 > g118-1.txt
Looking at the output I see escape codes.
That same command line without the -c but with GROFF_NO_SGR set
produces the desired c-backspace-c.

Does the -c option have a bug in groff 1.18.1?

Tom