Re: [Groff] Re: PFB->PFA and overlong lines

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: PFB->PFA and overlong lines
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:14:26 +0100 (CET)

> > Anyway, groff's pfbtops utility program for converting PFB into
> > PFA now folds overlong lines;
>
> How do you do this? Do you follow the full PostScript rules? Like
> tracking multiline strings?

Yes.  I'm doing a brute-force folding which could be certainly
improved for readability, but I'm too lazy to do that.

For bookkeeping I track whether we are in a string or in a comment,
handling escaped characters and octal character representations as
unbreakable units.  The maximal line length is set to 78 characters;
if a line gets longer, I break a string with a trailing `\'.  An
overlong comment is simply continued on the next line, and everything
else is broken at the next whitespace.  I don't fold `< ... >' and
`<~ ... ~>', assuming that these constructions don't appear in text
packets of a Type 1 font.