[Groff] grops chokes on `copyright' character in pfa files

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: [Groff] grops chokes on `copyright' character in pfa files
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:33:21 -0500 (EST)

This is something that I just saw for the first time tonight with the
latest CVS.  Some fonts I converted for groff last week, which worked
perfectly then, now give this error message whenever I use them:

grops:/home/goulding/fontwk/devps/BERGB___.pfa:7: invalid input character
code 169
grops:/home/goulding/fontwk/devps/BERGB___.pfa:8: invalid input character
code 169
grops:/home/goulding/fontwk/devps/BERGAMO_.pfa:7: invalid input character
code 169
grops:/home/goulding/fontwk/devps/BERGAMO_.pfa:8: invalid input character
code 169

Lines 7 and 8 of BERGAMO_.pfa are:

/Copyright (© 2002 The FontSite. All rights reserved. www.fontsite.com)
readonly def
/Notice (© 2002 The FontSite. All rights reserved. www.fontsite.com)
readonly def

The problem seems to be with the copyright symbol (which is input code 169
in latin 1).  The compiled files look OK, though, and there is no problem
with the copyright symbol appearing in the actual groff source file.

R.

--
Robert Goulding
Society of Fellows