Re: [Groff] -me questions

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] -me questions
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:43:58 +0100 (CET)

I can't answer your first question, sorry.  Until now I had no time to
work with me or mm (and just a little bit with ms).

> (2) The e.tmac in the source tarball has comments and indented code; but
> this is all stripped out in the installation process.  Why is this?

To make it faster.  groff has no internal representation of macros;
instead, they are read literally again and again.

Stripping is also done e.g. for mdoc: Both spaces and the `mdoc-'
prefix are removed.  For mdoc, this makes the package about 50%
faster.