Re: [Groff] gxditview

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] gxditview
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:56:58 +0000

Hi Werner,

> You are hitting a weak point of X.  While it is easy to have multiple
> locations for binaries, there is just one central directory for
> application resources (usually X11/lib/X11/app-defaults) -- no support
> for local trees a la TeX's kpathsea, only some environment variables
> (see the documentation of XFILESEARCHPATH, XUSERFILESEARCHPATH, and
> XAPPLRESDIR in the X(7) man page).  While it is possible (to a certain
> degree) to have a local X tree for resources, I doubt that many users
> have set up X in this way (and Linux distributions also don't do this
> AFAIK).
>
> IMHO it makes no sense to have the binary in /usr/local and the
> resource in /usr.

Agreed.

> Comments welcome, especially who this problem can be solved.

When I was responsible for sys. admin. for a bunch of programmers I
installed local stuff under /usr/local, including the X resources, and
the `common' .profile, .login, etc., set the appropriate environment
variable, probably XFILESEARCHPATH, appropriately.  It seemed to work
fine and they didn't need to know, or notice.

Cheers,

Ralph.