Re: [Groff] mm header/footer bug

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] mm header/footer bug
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:32:17 +0100

> However, I still think the line width should also be set
> properly in the header/footer environment; it would allow
> things like using PSPIC to include a logo in the header.

I agree.  This seems to be an oversight in mm.
(But I haven't looked at the mm code to see what's
really going on.)

> So it would look something like \D'l 0 address@hidden' then?
> What advantage does this provide over the \l escape?

\D'l address@hidden 0'

The advantage is that it draws a "real", *continuous* line if
the device allows it (and a sequence of dashes with the tty
device).  The minus character is unsuitable for drawing lines on
a hi-res device because its spacing is (purposely) too generous.
Underscore would be more suited because its width is designed to
let the individual characters connect.  But there's also the
following little complication (from CSTR 54):

  Any space resulting from N/(size of c) having a remainder is
  put at the beginning (left end) of the string. If N is less
  than the width of c, a single c is centered on a distance N.
  In the case of characters that are designed to be connected,
  such as baseline-rule, under-rule, and root-en, the remainder
  space is covered by overlapping.

(Note that the ascii underscore "_" does not seem to have the
latter property.  You will have to use "\(ru" (or leave blank),
"\(ul", or "\(rn".)