Re: [Groff] mm header/footer bug

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] mm header/footer bug
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:47:41 -0500

Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

... in your example you haven't explicitly terminated the line
(using .sp instead of 'sp would do this, or an explicit .br),
so it does not get output but stays in the environment until
new stuff is added in this environment, which happens in the
page footer, resulting in two lines there, one from the header,
one from the footer.  Your use of \p in the footer line also
causes the line to be output.

It seems so obvious once someone who actually *knows*
points it out... :-) Changing 'sp to .sp and running TEST=2
gave me the same correct results as TEST=0.

However, I still think the line width should also be set
properly in the header/footer environment; it would allow
things like using PSPIC to include a logo in the header.

But as you rightly figured out, using .tl is the easiest (and
probably cleanest) way to achieve what you want.  (However, I
would suggest drawing lines with \D.)

[looks up \D in groff.texinfo]
So it would look something like \D'l 0 address@hidden' then? What
advantage does this provide over the \l escape?

Thanks for the pointer!

--
Larry Kollar        k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: the Revival