[Groff] Re: CVS. (Was: valgrind again)

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: [Groff] Re: CVS. (Was: valgrind again)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:15:17 +0000

Hi Larry,

> > Me too. I compiled my own client, because the old one hanged as
> > well. I did naively think that it could be a bug in how the older
> > cvs version handled zlib compression.
>
> I already posted this but it doesn't seem to have made it to the list,
> so I'll reiterate:  Some recent releases of CVS (around 1.11.2 or so)
> when used in server mode did not interoperate properly with earlier
> CVS clients using compression.  The symptom is a hung connection at
> the end of the session.  This is fixed in the most recent release of
> CVS (1.11.5).

Thanks, here's what I get for my machine and groff.

    $ cvs version
    Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.1p1 (client/server)
    Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.2-debian (client/server)
    cvs [version aborted]: received interrupt signal

(Yes, `cvs version' hangs too  :-)

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&keywords=cvs
shows

    stable    cvs 1.11.1p1debian-8   (1059.9k)
    testing   cvs 1.11.2-5           (1108.4k)
    unstable  cvs 1.11.2-5.1         (1116.6k)

So it looks like 1.11.5 hasn't reached Debian unstable yet.

Anyway, at least I know how to get around it now.

Cheers,

Ralph.