Re: [Groff] Re: valgrind again

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: valgrind again
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:43:59 +0000

Hi Werner,

> > I've just tested the latest groff on a Mac and it seems that the
> > echo P1 trick doesn't work as pnmtops always fails with bad magic
> > number.

I found that too.

    $ echo P1 2 2 0 1 1 0 | pnmtops >/dev/null
    pnmtops: EOF / read error reading magic number

Using the latest netpbm.sf.net stable release, 10.11.5, gives

    $ echo P1 2 2 0 1 1 0 |
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`/../lib ./pnmtops >/dev/null
    pnmtops: Error reading magic number from Netpbm image stream.  Most
    often, this means your input file is empty.

In *both* cases stdout does contain valid PostScript for the first
image, i.e.  the one `echoed'.

> What about the other plain text formats like P2 or P3?  See pgm.5 and
> ppm.5 for more details.  Please try that.  If everything fails I'll
> apply your patch with a seventh program.

Using P2 doesn't show the problem, either with stock 9.14-2 or 10.11.5.

    $ echo P2 2 2 255 0 1 2 0 | pnmtops >/dev/null || echo fail
    $

    $ echo P2 2 2 255 0 1 2 0 |
    > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=`pwd`/../lib ./pnmtops >/dev/null ||
    > echo fail
    $

So that's probably the quick fix.  I'll email the maintainer about P1.

(What really sucks is the lack of man pages in the latest release,
despite them all existing in the past.)

Cheers,

Ralph.