[Groff] UTF-8 \(la and \(ra glyphs

From: Colin Watson
Subject: [Groff] UTF-8 \(la and \(ra glyphs
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 01:09:25 +0000

Hi,

font/devutf8/R.proto gives the width of the \(la and \(ra glyphs as 24,
which is the standard unit width on this device. However,
localedata/charmaps/UTF-8 in glibc lists U+2329 and U+232A as being
double-width characters, following
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/EastAsianWidth.txt, so wcwidth()
returns 2 for each of them;
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/NamesList.txt notes that they are
used as CJK punctuation. I'd submit a patch to correct their width to 48
except that I'm not sure exactly what I should be patching - is there a
script somewhere which generates these fonts?

I do wonder why \(la and \(ra are used in www.tmac to delimit e-mail
addresses, since they won't copy-and-paste correctly to < and >. Or
perhaps the UTF-8 mapping for these two characters ought to be changed
to U+003C and U+003E respectively. I don't really have an opinion either
way - one for Werner, I guess.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden