[Groff] new groff_char.man

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] new groff_char.man
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:13:20 +0100 (CET)

Dear friends,

I've completely rewritten the groff_char man page!  It now describes
(almost) all glyphs available in groff as concise as possible.

The task of standardizing groff's glyph names was one of the most
laborous I've ever done, and it isn't completely finished yet.

Since I don't have the possibility to test the devlj4 or devlbp fonts
I ask those who have such a device to print out groff_char, probably
at various sizes (using the -rS11 and -rS12 command line switches of
-man to select 11pt and 12pt for the base document size).

I'm also interested in upgrading the lj4 fonts to something newer; the
idea is to convert grolj4 into a gropcl5 driver, with a larger set of
fonts usable on more recent printers.  Unfortunately, I have no
experience in handling PCL5 (and no printer to test with).  Any
volunteer?