Re: [Groff] How to embed fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to embed fonts
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:01:28 +0100 (CET)

> I am searching for a way to embed fonts into ps-files produced with groff.
> Ghostscript can embed fonts when producing the pdf file with the flag
> -dEmbedAllFonts=true.

Please read the man page of grops how to do that.

> At some place I found that 'includeres' will do the job but it
> requires the files named like the fonts e.g. Times-Roman ...

You probably mean the `%%IncludeResource' keyword, don't you?  This is
a low-level PS-Command (more or less) not intended to be used
manually.  Instead, add an entry in the `download' file.

> Why do I need those files when the fonts TI TR ... are already
> there?

I don't understand what you mean.

The mapping between font names used by groff to the PostScript font
names happens directly in the groff font description files with the
`internalname' keyword.  Example:

  SS -> [/usr/local/share/groff/1.18.1/]font/devps/SS

  in `SS':
    internalname Symbol-Slanted

  in [/usr/local/share/groff/1.18.1/]font/devps/download:
    Symbol-Slanted symbolsl.pfa

The file `symbolsl.pfa' must be in the same directory as the
`download' file.  You have to use PFA format for the PS fonts, not
PFB.

[`symbolsl.pfa' is not a very good example since it needs the `Symbol'
font itself, but I hope you get the idea.  In the current CVS, a real
PS font `freeeuro.pfa' is provided which is installed exactly the same
way.]