Re: [Groff] Feature suggestions for afmtodit

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Feature suggestions for afmtodit
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 07:36:11 +0100 (CET)

> Suggestion #1:
>
> If no DESC file is passed as an argument to the -d
> option, and there is no DESC file in the current
> directory, then afmtodit should use the system default
> DESC (i.e. the one in /usr/share/groff/1.18/font/devps
> on Red Hat 8.0).

Good idea.

> Suggestion #2:
>
> A new option, --use-default-textmap. If this option is
> used, then only two filenames (instead of the usual
> three) would be passed to afmtodit, the name of the
> .afm file and the name of the font description file
> that afmtodit will generate, and afmtodit would use
> /usr/share/groff/1.18/font/devps/generate/textmap as
> the textmap.

Hmm, I rather suggest to make afmtodit search in the default font
directory in case the textmap file isn't in the current directory.
The same should be true for the encoding file.

Saying

  afmtodit ... textmap ...

(and textmap is automatically found in
/usr/share/groff/1.18/font/devps/generate/) is less typing work than

  afmtodit --use-default-textmap ...

Can you provide a patch?