[Groff] Feature suggestions for afmtodit

From: James J. Ramsey
Subject: [Groff] Feature suggestions for afmtodit
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 16:56:28 -0800 (PST)

Suggestion #1:

If no DESC file is passed as an argument to the -d
option, and there is no DESC file in the current
directory, then afmtodit should use the system default
DESC (i.e. the one in /usr/share/groff/1.18/font/devps
on Red Hat 8.0).

Suggestion #2:

A new option, --use-default-textmap. If this option is
used, then only two filenames (instead of the usual
three) would be passed to afmtodit, the name of the
.afm file and the name of the font description file
that afmtodit will generate, and afmtodit would use
/usr/share/groff/1.18/font/devps/generate/textmap as
the textmap.

The reason for these suggestions is that I find that
when I run afmtodit from shell scripts or Makefiles, I
have to have some variable with the value
"/usr/share/groff/1.18/" in it. (Obviously the
argument to the -d option is
$SOME_VARIABLE/font/devps/DESC, and the textmap
argument is
$SOME_VARIABLE/font/devps/generate/textmap.) It would
be nice to be able to write shell scripts that
wouldn't be so dependent on the version of Groff or
the particular location of system Groff directories.